Pecan & Blueberry Brownies
A little about Benoît
Benoît Vergels is a pastry chef and chocolatier from Waterloo, a town south of Brussels in Belgium. He has been working in Scotland since 2013 and has 30 years' experience in different countries including Belgium, France, Portugal, England and finally Scotland.
100g Pecan Nuts
50g Maple Syrup
4 Medium Eggs
425g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
425g Caster Sugar
125g Dark Chocolate
20g Dark Cocoa
50g Plain Flour
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2.
- Mix the pecan nuts and maple syrup. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pecan nuts and leave to cool. Once cooled, chop the nuts.
- Reset the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Separate the eggs.
- Mix the yolks with the soft brown sugar.
- Whisk the whites with caster sugar to form meringue.
- Snap the chocolate and melt into the hot butter.
- Add the yolks & brown sugar to the butter & chocolate and mix well.
- Sift the cocoa powder and plain flour into the mix.
- Add the blueberries and the pecan nuts.
- Incorporate the meringue mix and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.